[Suggestion] Make this a rule

Jonny Axehandle 03-15-2004 06:37 PM
"All posts must be made in proper spelling/grammer and must not be fully made in a non-default font"

I swear if I reed another one of Negotiator_Roger_Smith's posts or The Fallen Pheonix's posts I am going to explode.

Negotiator_Roger_Smith: Learn f***ing english. You're not cool typing with "u" and "r" and all that crap.

The Fallen Pheonix: Some people like to have the ability to understand what the hell you're saying without the need to quote.
seraphjei 03-15-2004 06:43 PM
how blunt, sadly i cant say i agree, but i dont disagree either
Jonny Axehandle 03-15-2004 06:46 PM
Then why are you trolling up my topic? The only people I want responding are those who have the authority to implant this new rule.
C.R Foxhound 03-15-2004 06:46 PM
oh come on, lighten up

thats not a good rule, you do have a point but come on
Jonny Axehandle 03-15-2004 06:47 PM
Can you understand a word the people who type like this are saying? It is a great rule.
The Fallen Phoenix 03-15-2004 06:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Axehandle
"All posts must be made in proper spelling/grammer and must not be fully made in a non-default font"

I swear if I reed another one of Negotiator_Roger_Smith's posts or The Fallen Pheonix's posts I am going to explode.

Negotiator_Roger_Smith: Learn f***ing english. You're not cool typing with "u" and "r" and all that crap.

The Fallen Pheonix: Some people like to have the ability to understand what the hell you're saying without the need to quote.

(Emphasis mine.)

And some people like it when you spell their names right. So if you want to advocate proper spelling/grammar, learn that it is Phoenix, not Pheonix! One should always practice what one preaches. Not only does it help your credibility (which does wonders when trying to push across a point), but hypocrites are generally not looked upon favorably.

Along the same vein, you spelled "grammar" wrong as well. You do realize you'd be held to the same standard as everyone else with this rule in the oft chance it were implimented, don't you? Roll Eyes

That said, I'll type in whatever font I choose, thank you very much. If Krang and Shredder didn't want people typing in different fonts, they would have restricted the option from the beginning. However, seeing as it's there, might as well put it to good use.
C.R Foxhound 03-15-2004 06:58 PM
quote:
Can you understand a word the people who type like this are saying? It is a great rule.

well yea, i mean it aint hard,m sometimes i admit its hard but...

sheesh, why tell people to speak a certain way
Jeff 03-15-2004 07:05 PM
You're turning this into a much bigger deal than it is! No need for profanity, as thats something else that this forum does not want.

Not everyone has perfect grammar and punctuation, so making it essential when posting would be somewhat biased. If someones method of posting irritates you, simply skip over it. You're not forced to read it.
Jonny Axehandle 03-15-2004 07:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jeff 25
Not everyone has perfect grammar and punctuation, so making it essential when posting would be somewhat biased.

Yes, some people are completely incapable of typing "you" insted of "u"
Randolph 03-15-2004 07:12 PM
I concur. While precise grammar is nice, it's not required for thorough understanding. I see no reason why people should be forced to always use the same font or always spell exactly. Nor does everyone have the time or knowledge to type correctly.
Perhaps it is my imagination, but it would appear that mr. Axehandle is incapable of making good suggestions. He's making himself look like an immature troublemaker. But maybe I'm wrong?
Jonny Axehandle 03-15-2004 07:18 PM
OMG u r teh dumb111 y n0t have proper grammer!!!

Moron.
C.R Foxhound 03-15-2004 07:21 PM
quote:
OMG u r teh dumb111 y n0t have proper grammer!!!

Moron.

aww was that really so nessessary?

and i guess your right Rekkoha

*shrugs*
Jonny Axehandle 03-15-2004 07:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen Phoenix
quote:

(Emphasis mine.)

And some people like it when you spell their names right. So if you want to advocate proper spelling/grammar, learn that it is Phoenix, not Pheonix! One should always practice what one preaches. Not only does it help your credibility (which does wonders when trying to push across a point), but hypocrites are generally not looked upon favorably.

Along the same vein, you spelled "grammar" wrong as well. You do realize you'd be held to the same standard as everyone else with this rule in the oft chance it were implimented, don't you? Roll Eyes

That said, I'll type in whatever font I choose, thank you very much. If Krang and Shredder didn't want people typing in different fonts, they would have restricted the option from the beginning. However, seeing as it's there, might as well put it to good use.

You must like making an ass of yourself or something. I know I spell things wrong but at least I don't type like a 8 year old AOL user.
Surtur 03-15-2004 07:38 PM
quote:

I agree with the first part to a degree. On certain forums, it's against the rules to use haxor or AOL speak. it's a forum, we're in no hurry to type, and it's difficult to read. Spelling and grammar mistakes, though, are alright. In fact, I just wrote grammar with an 'e' but noticed it and corrected myself. I also tend to start writing too fast and accidentally double type letters (as you will see in more than a few of my posts)

On the latter point, I think this should be encouraged, but not made a rule. FP, maybe Krang and Shredder didn't make this a rule because they didn't think anyone would start writing every letter of every post in a barely readable font. Personally, I can read the font you're using now, but I'm sure there are others who can't. This is just like typing in haxor, it has no reason except to change people's perception of you and make you seem more unique, and there are plenty of other ways to do that here (avatar and sig, for example).
The Fallen Phoenix 03-15-2004 07:40 PM
Okay, I'd like to know what you're referencing to by that line. I apologize if my using a different font offends people, I didn't know that doing so inflicted harm on others... Roll Eyes

Now, normally I don't stoop to exchanging insults, but in all honesty, I think the ass here is you. For one, you're accepting criticism about as well as a four year old...someone doesn't agree with your idea, and what do you do? Insult them.

Great way to have a civil debate... Roll Eyes

I agree with C.R Foxhound, Rekkoha, and Jeff...not only are you making this a bigger deal than it is, but you also seem to be quite profficient at stirring up trouble.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I find it funny how people who want to ammend the rules generally can't follow them themselves...unless I misread the rule regarding personal attacks...

---
By the way Surtur, the only reason I type in a different font is because I personally get sick of seeing the same font over and over again. Especially a font I'm not particularly fond of. I like adding a bit of personality to my posts by using a font that comes close to my own handwriting (hence why I tend to use cursive fonts). But since cursive fonts tend to be difficult to read, I've switched to a more eye-friendly font.

Though if a significant number of people complain about my font, I'll stop using it. It's just that, so far, that doesn't seem to be the case (though I could simply be perceiving things badly... Embarrassed Sweatdrop )

---
Since people have indeed complained about my use of fonts (and in a civil manner), I've decided to stick to the default font. However, I refuse to drop my argument...
Manji 03-15-2004 07:47 PM
quote:
You must like making an ass of yourself or something. I know I spell things wrong but at least I don't type like a 8 year old AOL user.

Your right, but you are acting like one. Have you tried asking FP nicely to use a font thats easier for you to read?

Everyone has a right to type the way they wish, I dont have a problem with FP's writting it's actually not that hard to read, and I could care less about grammar, just keep it withen acceptable limits guys. I hate seeing "elite" talk, it does get annoying very quickly, so it would be nice if that were kept on a limited basis, but beyond that type however you want. Of course I don't make the rules here though, and I don't speak for the Mods, Members, or Admins, only for myself.

Hey FP, you outta make all your posts pictures Big Grin

Oh wait... that would take up extra BW never mind Big Grin
Prons 03-15-2004 08:59 PM
Don't diss Negoatior Roger Smith, He rocks! Some one warn that guy! Adn the term is 12 year old aoler, not 8.
BabyGhia 03-15-2004 09:06 PM
I really haven't noticed anyone having such horrible grammar and spelling that I can't tell what they are trying to say. And if I did, I'd ask them to reword it. What's the big deal? Not everyone has perfect grammar and spelling. It's just something you deal with.

But to make a rule about it??? To be honest, it's would be a rule that most of us, if not all of us, would break all the time.

About font choices, it doesn't bother me. If FP wants to use a different, more power to him. That's why there's a choice given. So that people can have fun with their posts and make them different and unique.

BabyGhia
Kittie heavenly6 03-15-2004 09:25 PM
Hey axehandle, do you realize you are breaking rules in this thread?
It seems like all you does is cause trouble and tell people they are wrong for not acting exactly the way you want them to.

I hate to be this way, but get over it, and Let's just pretend this is locked untill Krang gets online later tonight.
Surtur 03-15-2004 10:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BabyGhia
I really haven't noticed anyone having such horrible grammar and spelling that I can't tell what they are trying to say. And if I did, I'd ask them to reword it. What's the big deal? Not everyone has perfect grammar and spelling. It's just something you deal with.

But to make a rule about it??? To be honest, it's would be a rule that most of us, if not all of us, would break all the time.

He means AOL speak, like you=u and are=r, as stated in first example and his response to FP's first post. And like I said, it actually is banned on some boards.

quote:
Originally posted by GK Version 1
I hate to be this way, but get over it, and Let's just pretend this is locked untill Krang gets online later tonight.

Sorry, didn't notice that last part until after I posted. But seriously, he has a good point, just a poor way of delivering it. I'm sick of people like FP who ignore others' opinions just because they don't have a five thousand word vocabulary and use perfect english. You can tell that he didn't even read the entire first post, since AxeHandle gives an example ("your not cool typing u and r and all that crap").

And you talk about being immature, this man has an idea for a rule that could benifit us all, and all you can think is "ooh, he said ass! We've gotta report this!" Sure, he's a bit overdefensive, but you shouldn't dismiss what he thinks because of it.